The mission of Maasai Cricket is to empower the youth in Maasai communities of Kenya, through cricket development while enhancing their participation in community development, allowing them to become healthy, productive and well adjusted members of society. It aims to increase cricket awareness amongst communities as well as introducing cricket throughout Laikipia.
The Maasai Cricket project is establishing a framework, which will ensure that cricket can be played competitively in the long-term, thus increasing the opportunities for participation. The project aims to develop cricket amongst the schools and youth within the Laikipia area as a platform for targeting sustainable social and environmental change.
Key issues that are being addressed include:
- HIV/AIDS awareness amongst youth.
- Combating gender discrimination.
- Reducing alcohol and substance abuse.
- Raising awareness of environmental and conservation issues.
- Peace-building efforts and local development.
- Promoting literacy and reading through cricket.